American forces launched a military strike in Kabul targeting a possible suicide car bomb that was aiming to attack the airport, US officials told Reuters.
The strike initially appears to be a separate incident to the one at a residential property 3 miles north west of the airport, though this is yet to be confirmed.
A US military spokesperson has confirmed to Reuters that the US carried out a drone strike on a vehicle in Kabul.
The vehicle was carrying “multiple” Islamic State suicide bombers heading for the Kabul airport.
A military official said the strike on Sunday caused “significant secondary explosions” indicating the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material in the vehicle.
AP reporting that a US drone strike targeting a vehicle with ‘multiple suicide bombers’ on way to Kabul airport, has succeeded in “eliminating” the intended target.
It remains unclear whether the strike is related to the earlier blast reported in a neighbourhood 3 miles north west of Kabul airport, which resulted in at least one casualty, a child.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the strike targeted suspected ISIS-K militants. They said they were citing initial information and cautioned it could change.
The story was previously confirmed by a Taliban spokesperson, Zabihullah Mujahid who said in a message to journalists that the strike happened Sunday.
To reiterate it is not immediately clear if the blast near the airport and the US strike are the same event.
The attack comes as the US winds down a historic airlift in which tens of thousands of people were evacuated from Kabul’s airport.