Novak Djokovic withdraws from ATP Cup event in Sydney ahead of Australian Open
SYDNEY, Dec 29 – World number one Novak Djokovic has pulled out of the Serbian team for the ATP Cup in Sydney, organizers of the team event said on Wednesday.
“Team Serbia will now be led by world number 33 Dusan Lajovic,” they said in a statement.
Australian Open organisers have stipulated that all participants must be vaccinated against the coronavirus or have a medical exemption granted by an independent panel of experts.
Speaking to media in Melbourne earlier this month, tournament director Craig Tiley said: “Everyone who is coming in is vaccinated and there will be a small percentage – a very small percentage – that will have a medical exemption.
“So, if any player, fan (or) workforce is on site here, you’re either vaccinated or you have a medical exemption that’s approved and you’re on the Australian Immunisation Register. That provides us with safety and an extra level of comfort on site.
“If Novak shows up at the Australian Open, he’ll either be vaccinated or he’ll have a medical exemption. (It’s) his choice on his medical condition, it’s his choice to keep (it) personal and private like all of us would do with any condition we may or may not have.
“We are not going to force him or ask him to disclose that.”