Kim just thanked Governor Polis, writing, “Thank you @GovofCO for taking action to reduce Mr. Aguilera-Mederos sentence! While his new sentence is ten years, he will now have an opportunity to come home in five years and be with his son and wife.”
She continues, “This case was a clear example of why mandatory minimums don’t work and need to be abolished. I’m grateful to Governor Polis for his empathy and leadership on this case.”
Aguilera-Mederos was convicted of:
- Six counts of Assault in the First Degree – Extreme Indifference
- 10 counts of Attempt to Commit Assault in the First Degree – Extreme Indifference
- Two counts of Vehicular Assault – Reckless
- One count of Reckless Driving
- Four counts of Careless Driving Causing Death
The truck driver who caused the crash that killed 4 and whose sentence of 110 years behind bars motivated more than 5 million people, including Kim Kardashian, to get behind his cause has been granted clemency by Colorado’s Governor … and hissentence has been reduced to 10 years.
Rogel Aguilera-Mederos was driving an 18-wheeler in 2019 when the truck’s brakes failed, causing the horrific pileup crash. His 110 year sentence was mandatory, but caused public outcry from those who felt it was harsh and unfair given the whole thing was an accident.
Rogel will be eligible for parole in 2026.