Hulu pulls Astroworld tragedy documentary following backlash

Disney-owned streaming platform Hulu removed a local ABC news station documentary, Astroworld: A Concert From Hell, about the deadly crowd surge at the Houston music festival last month, after it was criticized on social media for airing the documentary just weeks after the event.

Hulu said it removed the program, which was uploaded on December 1 and quickly taken down, to “avoid confusion” that it was created by the streaming service.

Hulu said it was “an investigative local news special” from Houston TV news station ABC13/KTRK-TV that aired on November 20. 

Hulu released "Astroworld: Concert from Hell" on Nov. 30. It is no longer available on the platform. 

The synopsis of the documentary states that it is a “minute-by-minute” look at Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert, which was cut short after a crowd surge toward the main stage, which killed 10.

Shortly after it went online, the documentary drew backlash on social media from people who accused the platform of being insensitive to the victims’ families who are still in mourning.

The controversy around the documentary comes when Hulu is in the process of filming a reality TV series featuring the Kardashians. Kylie and Kendall Jenner were present backstage at Scott’s concert, although it is unclear if the reality show crew was filming. 

Last month, 10 people died following a crowd surge at Astroworld during Scott’s live performance. The youngest victim of the tragedy was only 9 while the oldest was 27. Police are investigating the event and civil lawsuits have been filed against Scott, his co-performer Drake and the concert’s promoter Live Nation, among others. Scott has promised to pay the funeral expenses for those killed in the tragedy and has said he is cooperating with the investigation.


mariamemon.com Is the most visited news, Trending Topics and current affairs website. All rights reserved to Maria Memon Media Group for all content published on this website.