“This strike was not the last,” President Joe Biden said. “We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay.”
A drone strike in the Afghan province of Nangarhar has killed an ISIS planner.
The US Central Command says that according to initial reports, our target ISIS fighters were killed in the drone strike, no civilians were killed in the drone strike.
“We know of zero civilian casualties,” Army Maj. Gen. William “Hank” Taylor said. “Without specifying any future plans, I will say that we will continue to have the ability to defend ourselves and to leverage over-the-horizon capability to conduct counterterrorism operations as needed.”
A Taliban spokesman did not comment on the drone strike, according to the news agency.
A resident of the Nangarhar told NBC News on Saturday they “heard a heavy explosion in the middle of the night.” The person who did not wish to be named for fear of reprisals added that they thought “someone had fired rocket on our house, but we then noticed drones hovering over the area.”
Biden had vowed in a Thursday speech that the U.S. would respond to the attacks “with force.”
“To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay,” Biden said of the Kabul airport attack hours earlier that killed 13 U.S. service members and more than 100 Afghan civilians.
He repeated that vow on Saturday.
“This strike was not the last,” Biden said. “We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay. Whenever anyone seeks to harm the United States or attack our troops, we will respond.”
More than 170 people, including US troops, were killed and more than 150 were injured in the blasts at Kabul airport.